Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Winter Running



Winter running is something that I've spent the last few years forcing myself to do. It's not like I live in Southern California, or even Seattle.  I live in Montana.  When it comes to winter weather, I'm specifically talking snow, ice, negative temperatures, lack of actual day light and wind chill.  In years past, winter would hit and my running would take a hiatus.  Or else I'd attempt to run on the treadmill (Tre d'mille, or Dreadmill, if you're so inclined - pun totally intended) and wind up hating everything, or worse, injured.
A few years ago I decided my goal was to run outside one time per month for the whole winter (basically December through April).  I know - some of you die-hards out there are laughing right now...baby steps, ok?!?  That winter I achieved my goal - and it felt good.  Chilly, but good.
Last winter I was way more into it, mostly because I met some other ladies who were willing to get out of bed and meet me at a park, in the dark, for a four-mile jaunt before work.  Part of my problem with winter running in years past is that to fit running into my day, I had to get it done before the rest of my house was awake and before I had to go to work.  That leaves the hours between 5:30 and 7:30 in the morning.  Ugh.
This year has been a whole new way of life.  I've been so lucky to get to be home with the kids since this past July. Which means that I can wait and run at a sane hour, like 11 a.m., if need be.  And I thought that also meant I was pretty much done with uber cold temps.  I was wrong.
Last week, I woke up to a 10 degree morning.  Once it got light out, I got the kiddos to one of their two mornings a week at preschool and headed home.  It was still right around the same temp as when I woke up, so I thought I'd get some chores done, wait for it to warm up a few degrees, and head out.  No such luck. An hour later, the sun was shining and it was down to 9 degrees.  Huh.  Well, I figured I'd get dressed in my gear, head out and it would warm up some while I was out and about.  To get dressed, I put on the following:

  •  warm winter running tights (these are good),
  • Smartwool socks (I just use my thinner ski socks, but I know Smartwool makes running socks, too),
  •  running shoes,
  • ice traction-gripper things (these, specifically) ,
  • light fleece hat (race hat from an early spring run),
  • neck gator (I like the Buff neck gator - it's light enough that I don't overheat and also versatile),
  •  fleece ear cover (under my hat),
  • light running tank (included bra),
  • thicker running shirt
  • heavier running coat (OMG - received this as a Christmas gift and am so flipping in love with it!)
  • gloves &
  • sunglasses.

I used to run less in the winter - 3 to 4 miles seemed good.  But I've come to the conclusion that if I'm going to spend all the time and energy to get all.that.gear. on I should spend longer outside.  Right?  Right.  My longest cold-weather run, so far, has been 9 miles.  It was a balmy 20 degrees, overcast and there was intermittent snow and ice on the ground.  I ran on the road, trails and sidewalks.  The road was the best maintained (least amount of ice and snow).  The trail was the prettiest, but the snow and ice made me stiff and it felt like I was running through sand.  These weren't the fastest miles of my life (that's for another entry), but it felt so good and like such a major accomplishment to get out there.
What's your winter-running secret???  Are you running in actual winter conditions, or are you oh-so-lucky and live in some temperate wonderland????
Cheers -
Mama H


No comments:

Post a Comment